So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Psalm 41:10 NIV)
I led worship one Sunday and after the service a gentleman stopped me. He explained that surgery had been scheduled and he needed prayers. “I am worried I will not have the strength to face this, I mean people here look to me and my faith as an example and I don’t want to let them down, I don’t want to lose my faith.” His concern was not for physical strength, but for spiritual strength.
There are many times in our lives when know we need more strength. Five things we can do to feel God’s strength:
- Prayer. There is not substitute for time alone with God.
- Read Scripture. Especially read stories of God’s healing power: body, mind, soul and strength.
- Pray with friends. Praying with others has its own special power.
- Ask others to pray for you. Being the recipient of the prayer will gives strength.
- Follow God’s advice to Gideon: “Go in the strength you have.” (Judges 6:14) Be confident that God will give you just the strength you need for that time and place.